Thailand meets Mexico in these spicy and delicious low fat, high fiber vegetarian burgers. They also help the budget at about 90 cents a serving
1 6.7 oz box Garlic Basil Coconut Rice
2 tablespoons oil plus more for pan-frying
1 cup minced onions
2 carrots, minced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3-15.5 oz cans black beans
1 tablespoon Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce
1 cup bread crumbs, divided
1/2 cup chopped basil
Food processor, scoop, large oiled skillet
- Cook rice according to box directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic and salt. Cook until vegetables are wilted. Add cumin and stirring, cook 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, add one can of drained beans, egg and Garlic Chili Pepper Sauce. Process until mostly chopped. Scrape into large bowl.
- Drain remaining two cans of beans and add to processor along with rice. Process until mixed and broken down, but not completely smooth. Scrape into bowl with beans. Add 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, basil and reserved vegetables. Mix well.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup or a scoop with a wire release, scoop out 13 portions of bean mixture. On a counter dusted with remaining 1/2 cup bread crumbs, shape into patties.
- In an oiled skillet over a medium high heat, pan-fry burgers 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned.
Serve with favorite burger condiments.
Source: Taste of Thai http://www.atasteofthai.com/index.php?page=recipe&id=419