[Pasta] [Italian] [Lee's Recipes]
Tony Rosenfeld's Rigatoni with Spicy Tomato-Vodka Sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes; more to taste
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
3 Tbs. vodka
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 Tbs. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3/4 lb. rigatoni (about 4 cups)
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, heat the garlic and red pepper flakes in the oil until they’re fragrant and sizzle steadily for about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices and the vodka, and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a steady simmer, cover with the lid slightly ajar, and cook to intensify the flavors and reduce the sauce slightly (by about one-quarter), 10 to 15 min.
- Purée the tomatoes using a hand blender or a regular blender. If you used a regular blender to purée, return the sauce to the saucepan. Stir in 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano, the parsley, cream, salt and pepper, and more red pepper flakes if you like. Simmer to incorporate the cream and reduce the sauce slightly, about 5 min. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta, stirring occasionally, until it’s just tender to the tooth, 10 to 12 min. Drain well and return the pasta to its pot. Add the sauce, set the pot over medium heat, and cook, stirring, to let the pasta absorb some of the sauce, 1 min.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmigiano.
Serve with garlic bread and a simple green salad
nutrition information (per serving):
Size : based on four servings; Calories (kcal): 490; Fat (g): 13; Fat Calories (kcal): 120; Saturated Fat (g): 4.5; Protein (g): 14; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 6; Carbohydrates (g): 73; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 1.5; Sodium (mg): 850; Cholesterol (mg): 20; Fiber (g): 2;
photo: Scott Phillips
From Fine Cooking 77 , pp. 82c March 1, 2006
December 5, 2011
Source: Fine Cooking Tony Rosenfeld "Rigatoni with Spicy Tomato-Vodka Sauce"
video on line at http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/rigatoni-spicy-tomato-vodka-sauce.aspx