Indian-Style Red Lentil Soup with Coconut
(Adapted from the Cooks Illustrated )
Yield: 6 servings
4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cup water
2 cup split red lentils
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 T. canola oil
1 onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 t. garam masala (see homemade note below)
1 (14-oz) can light coconut milk – 3 T. reserved (or in addition
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped coarse
- IHeat broth mixture: bring broth, water, lentils, and 1/2 t. salt
to boil, covered, in large saucepan. Reduce to simmer and continue to
cook, covered, until needed in step 3.
- Cook onion: While mixture is simmering, heat oil in large saucepan
over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and 1⁄4 t. salt
and cook until softened and lightly browned, 3-5 minutes.
- Cook aromatics; add broth mixture and coconut milk: stir in garlic,
ginger, and garam masala and cook until fragrant, about 1 minutes. Stir
in broth mixture and coconut milk, scraping up any browned bits.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until lentils are tender and soup is thickened,
about 15 minutes.
- Season and Garnish: off heat, stir in cilantro and season with salt
and pepper to taste. Sprinkle chopped tomatoes over individual bowls
of soup and drizzle with the remaining coconut milk before serving.