Soften beans overnight by soaking in a large quantity of cold water or
use a pressure cooker. I use my Revere Meal'n Minutes electronic pressure
cooker; the secret is the tbs. of oil which cuts down foaming. Check your
pressure cooker instructions before following these instructions.
- Put into pressure cooker 1 cup washed beans.
- Add 4 cups water and 1 Tbs. oil.
- Cook on high for 15 minutes and let pressure reduce gradually.
- If beans are not soft enough, cook again for 5 minutes. Be careful
to not overcook or beans will be too mushy.
- Drain beans, but retain liquid.
Then brown some chopped onion, carrot, celery, garlic, green pepper,
jalapeño and other vegetable e.g. broccoli stems. Put the beans
back in with about a cup of liquid and pressure cook again 3-4 minutes.
See Page 33 of Meal'n Minutes manual.
Lee's Black Bean Squash Soup with Cumin